New EuroSCORE II (2011)
Important: The previous additive 1 and logistic 2 EuroSCORE models are out of date. A new model has been prepared from fresh data and is launched at the 2011 EACTS meeting in Lisbon. The model is called EuroSCORE II 3 – this online calculator has been updated to use this new model. If you need to calculate the older “additive” or “logistic” EuroSCORE please visit the old calculator by clicking here.
Patient related factors
Cardiac related factors
|Age 1 (years)||NYHA||selectIIIIIIIV|
|Gender||select malefemale||CCS class 4 angina 8||noyes|
| Renal impairment 2
See calculator below for creatinine clearance
|normal (CC >85ml/min)moderate (CC >50 & <85)severe (CC <50)dialysis (regardless of CC)||LV function||selectgood (LVEF > 50%)moderate (LVEF 31%-50%)poor (LVEF 21%-30%)very poor (LVEF 20% or less)|
|Extracardiac arteriopathy 3||noyes||Recent MI 9||noyes|
|Poor mobility 4||noyes||
Pulmonary hypertension 10
|nomoderate (PA systolic 31-55 mmHg)severe (PA systolic >55 mmHg)|
|Previous cardiac surgery||noyes||Operation related factors|
|Chronic lung disease 5||noyes||Urgency 11||electiveurgentemergencysalvage|
|Active endocarditis 6||noyes||Weight of the intervention 12||isolated CABGsingle non CABG2 procedures3 procedures|
|Critical preoperative state 7||noyes||Surgery on thoracic aorta||noyes|
|Diabetes on insulin
| EuroSCORE IIEuroSCORE II EuroSCORE II
|Note: This is the 2011 EuroSCORE II|
Notes about euroSCORE II
 Age – in completed years. Some of the weighting for age is now incorporated into the renal impairment risk factor, so it is important that all risk factors are entered to give reliable risk estimations – see note . Of over 20,000 patients in the EuroSCORE database, only 21 patients were aged over 90 – therefore the risk model may not be accurate in these patients. Please exercise clinical discretion in interpreting the score. The oldest patient in the EuroSCORE database was 95 – EuroSCORE II is not validated in patients over this age.
 Renal impairment – there are now 3 categories based on creatinine clearance calculated using Cockcroft-Gault formula. Unlike serum creatinine in the old EuroSCORE model, some of the weighting for age is directly incorporated into this factor, as age is a component of creatinine clearance. The 3 categories are:
- on dialysis (regardless of serum creatinine level)
- moderately impaired renal function (50-85 ml/min)
- severely impaired renal function (<50 ml/min) off dialysis
Creatinine clearance (ml/min) = (140-age (years)) x weight (kg) x (0.85 if female) / [72 x serum creatinine (mg/dl)]
* Weight (and creatinine) have not been directly included in the main EuroSCORE II calculator because they are not direct risk factors in the EuroSCORE II model, other than they contribute to creatinine clearance.
- carotid occlusion or >50% stenosis
- amputation for arterial disease
- previous or planned intervention on the abdominal aorta, limb arteries or carotids
 Poor mobility – severe impairment of mobility secondary to musculoskeletal or neurological dysfunction
 Critical preoperative state ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation or aborted sudden death, preoperative cardiac massage, preoperative ventilation before anaesthetic room, preoperative inotropes or IABP, preoperative acute renal failure (anuria or oliguria <10ml/hr)
- moderate: PA systolic pressure (31-55 mm Hg)
- severe: PA systolic pressure (>55mm Hg)
- valve repair or replacement
- replacement of part of the aorta
- repair of a structural defect
- maze procedure
- resection of a cardiac tumour
- Roques F, Nashef SA, Michel P, Gauducheau E, de Vincentiis C, Baudet E, Cortina J, David M, Faichney A, Gabrielle F, Gams E, Harjula A, Jones MT, Pintor PP, Salamon R, Thulin L. Risk factors and outcome in European cardiac surgery: analysis of the EuroSCORE multinational database of 19030 patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999 Jun;15(6):816-22; discussion 822-3.
- Roques F, Michel P, Goldstone AR, Nashef SA. The logistic EuroSCORE. Eur Heart J. 2003 May;24(9):882-3
- The manuscript which supports the new model is being submitted for publication. The new model has been validated by the EuroSCORE Project Group and awaits validation by users worldwide. It was presented at EACTS in Lisbon on 3rd October 2011.
Copyright – EuroSCORE Study Group 2011. This webpage and calculator (“EuroSCORE II calculator”) is provided “as is” – it is a free tool for unrestricted online use by clinicians, patients and researchers alike. It will be regularly updated and enhanced, so it is important to always use the online version. Users may not reverse engineer, disassemble, copy, download for offline use, or otherwise modify the content of this page without the express written permission of the EuroSCORE Study Group. “EuroSCORE” and “EuroSCORE II” are Registered Trademarks (TM) and may not be used without the express written permission of the EuroSCORE Study Group.